Tuesday, April 19, 2011

a british pub

sooo I got a part time job at a pub less than a mile from where I live to make a little dosh and socialize with the brits. What better way to experience this culture than at a pub!? So far the biggest challenge was learning what and how these English people drink. Here are some examples:

• The head on the beer should be no more than 5%. If there is a larger head, they feel like they are being cheated out of their money and you will have to top it up. If it's much less than that, your boss will be concerned about his stock. I'm still practicing this one.
• British people don't tip. I can't tell you how many times I have given people 5 or 10p (¢) change and they have happily put the tiny coin in their pocket. I don't think they know the phrase, "keep the change."
• Cordial is a concentrated fruity syrupy thing that is mixed with water or soda and usually drank by kids and called squash. In the pub however, it is sometimes added to beer or cider. We offer blackcurrant or lime flavors, and I still need to try it.
• Sometimes people ask for a "top" or "topper" on their beers which is a squirt of lemonade (sprite). I'm not sure what effect this is supposed to achieve..
• A "shandy" is a half and half mixture of lemonade (sprite) and any lager or ale. It keeps the alcohol level down, adds a bit of sweetness, and just might be my new favorite drink. (yum)

Since I am new to a pub with lots of regulars, they seem to like to talk about where I am from. Some think I'm Eastern European?? One guy asked me if I was Canadian so I wouldn't get offended if I really was Canadian and he called me American. I've also been called a Yank, as well as Yankee-Doodle-Dandy. nice.

Overall I like the atmosphere of this pub. Many of the customers are old men who sit in the same spot and drink the same beer in their favorite glass and sometimes engage you in polite conversation. There are some older couples, some families, and a younger crowd who have no volume control towards the end of the night. They are my least favorite.

At the end of June the pub will close for a few days and be remodeled. During this time we will undergo new training and get to sample the food and wine so we can be better informed. This will be a great opportunity to learn some new skillzz and everyone needs skillz! I'm especially excited to try all of the desserts!

Here it is! Quite a large place with a huge garden out back.

2 comments:

  1. I love how your life never stops being amazing. Also, I miss your silliness. Lets start doing a better job of being long distant friends :)

    ReplyDelete

what do you have to say about that?